This question, or a variation of this question is asked of our students from JK- grade 8, high school students, and university graduates.
Having turned 50 recently, I wonder how to answer this question as well.
At today’s chapel time I shared with the students that at different times of my life I have wanted to be:
- A guitar playing rock star (when I was in grade 7).
- A professional baseball player (when I was in high school).
- A professional bicycle racer (currently).
Our school theme this year comes from Hebrews 13: 8, “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.”
At chapel today I shared with the students the verse just before our theme verse which is Hebrews 13:7, “Remember your leaders who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith.”
For me, this introduction verse to our theme is telling us that we will understand that Christ remains the same and is faithful when we look to the leaders in our life who help point us to God and that we need to imitate their faith.
For the last number of years when I wonder about who I want to be when I grow up I keep landing on two people. When I grow up I want to be like my mom and dad. Why?
- They have been praying for me since I was born and they continue to do so.
- They now pray for my children.
- They are faithful volunteer in their church and community.
- They continue to learn about God through reading, prayer, and listening.
- They yearn to follow God and love their neighbour in all they do.
Let me encourage all of us to remember our leaders who speak the word of God to us and imitate their faith when we try to answer the question, “Who do I want to be when I grow up?”