The Canadian Mental Health Association notes the following statistics:
- 20% of Canadians will personally experience a mental illness in their lifetime.
- Mental illness affects people of all ages, educational and income levels, and cultures.
- It is estimated that 10-20% of Canadian youth are affected by a mental illness or disorder – the single most disabling group of disorders worldwide.
- Today, approximately 5% of male youth and 12% of female youth, age 12 to 19, have experienced a major depressive episode.
- The total number of 12-19 year olds in Canada at risk for developing depression is a staggering 3.2 million.
- Once depression is recognized, help can make a difference for 80% of people who are affected, allowing them to get back to their regular activities.
As a community of parents, educators, and supporters, we want to have a growing mindset on how to best acknowledge and work alongside these struggles. Seeking to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ, for His glory, lays the foundation of love. Join us as we have a community presentation and conversation around children’s mental health. Please invite friends and neighbours.
Thursday, March 30th 7-8:15pm
Children’s Mental Health Seminar and Q&A
with Andrea Groenwald, M.Div., RMFT, CTC
Feel free to come early for tours of the school from 5-7 pm
The seminar will cover:
- An overview of mental health
- Building resiliency in families
- Emotional availability, validation, regulation
- Some practical tips and suggestions
There will also be an anonymous questions and answer time.