At GCCS we recognize that technology is already a part of our students’ daily lives. In the classroom we view technology as one of many tools in the toolbox for both teachers and students. Our goal is to teach our students to discern when and how to use technology and how to be positive digital citizens as they interact with technology in the different spheres of their lives.
Our school provides a variety of ways for students to engage with technology:
- Every classroom is equipped with a SmartBoard
- 4 class sets of Chromebooks on a cart are used daily by Grades 1-8
- iPads in every classroom, used to enhance instruction or as a learning centre
- One classroom has a 1:1 ratio of iPads to students
Every year in September our students progress through the GCCS Digital Citizenship program that seeks to equip students to be intentional, innovative, and wise with technology. We desire for them to view technology as a part of our toolbox for learning and to see ways of using it in a God-honouring manner. In order to work towards this goal we believe it is our responsibility to educate our students at their level, with relevant information, and possibly using community leaders. Some highlights of the program are:
- Individual workshops on Privacy & Security, Digital Law, Internet Safety, Information Literacy, Cyberbullying
- A useful booklet for student reference throughout the year
- A quiz at the end of the program followed by a Digital Driver's License upon successful completion of the quiz
- Students are then expected to apply their learning
This program is unique among Christian schools in the province.